Architects Miguel Forte, Jacob Ruchti, Plínio Groce, Roberto Aflalo, Carlos Millan, and Che Y Hwa all graduated from the architecture course at the Mackenzie School of Engineering in São Paulo during the 1940's and launched their furniture brand and store in 1952 called Branco & Preto. Their aim was to create a line of contemporary furniture that could be incorporated into the modern houses and apartments that began to sprout up in São Paulo during the 1950's.
São Paulo, a city still quite provincial at the time, was gradually being modernized by the idealism of those coming up with a new architectural order, largely in response to a post-war world. The idea of the group behind Branco & Preto was to sell modern design and furniture made of all-Brazilian materials and exquisite finish. The original store at the time was filled with fabrics, furniture, Chinese pottery and even engravings donated by the owner’s friend, the sculptor and painter Henry Moore.